Monday, February 15, 2010

Dracula: the Undead by Stoker, Dacre

I was so excited to start reading the sequel to Bram Stoker's Dracula, which was wrote by his direct descendant, Dacre Stoker, and so far I've made it to page 76. It started out slow, which many books do, but I did get interested in the story. However, Stoker "jumped the shark" when he introduced Great-Great Uncle Bram Stoker as a character in the story. In a side note, Stephen King did this to his readers in the Dark Tower series, by having the characters visit himself in the book. That was a bad move for him, in my opinion, because I put the book down and never finished it. I could not wrap my mind around that one!
But, Dracula the Undead is slightly different. Apparently Bram Stoker heard about Jonathan and Mina Harker's horrific encounter with Dracula. He stole their story, wrote a work of fiction using their names, (duh!), and is putting on a theater production of the book. Now the Harkers' grown son, Quincey Harker, who's interested in theater, happens upon the production of Dracula and finds his parents' names, and their friend's names are used in the story. He also hears that the book Dracula may actually be based upon a real person, so he starts researching Dracula...
I plan to finish the novel, just to see how it all turns out, but I am less than thrilled with it, in all honesty. Clunky writing, scattered plots, and no feeling of affinity with the characters have turned me off the book. There is not one character in the story that I like, which I feel is important in a story. I will post a final review on the book when I finish it, to be fair to the book. It could turn fantastic in the next chapter, and I promise to keep an open mind! You should try reading it, and let me know what your thoughts are on Dracula: the Undead!

No comments:

Post a Comment