Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Vampire Alert

Hi friends, I freely admit I love reading scary books and watching scary films. I suspect most women avoid this type of material, unless it's Twilight, which is very romantic. Romantic, hunky, and considerate vampires who avoid biting you because of their deep love for you are definitely a different type of story! More romance than horror, I think! I find it difficult to name five girl-friends who share my love for horror novels and films. Stephen King is the king of scary, in my opinion. His books are riveting and horrific, and yet the films made from his novels just do not measure up to the books. "Misery" starring Kathy Bates was pretty good though! I discovered yesterday, to my astonishment, that I have not read "Just After Sunset", a collection of short stories published in 2008 by Stephen King. I realized this occurred because I have slacked off my pleasure reading since starting college in 2008. I plan to read Just After Sunset ASAP!
A couple of vampire horror novels that are outstanding, in my humble opinion, are "My Swordhand is Singing" by Marcus Sedgewick,and "London Under Midnight" by Simon Clark. My Swordhand is Singing is a good read. I believe both books are teen reads, which makes it slightly less scary than adult books. London Under Midnight was definitely disturbing and more gory than the other. I love vampire novels, (but not zombie novels, no no no!)and I am thrilled to announce that Bram Stoker's direct descendant, Dacre Stoker, has created the sequel to Dracula. It is called "Dracula: the undead". The band of heroes that destroyed Dracula are being hunted down one by one and Dr. Seward, Van Helsing's morphine addicted protege, must figure out if Dracula is back or... Sounds pretty chilling to me! I am opening the book right now! I gotta go....I will tell you about it in another post!

No comments:

Post a Comment